Dyspraxia blog

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Dyspraxia Blog

It's not too common to hear something that truly inspires, but today was one of those rare occasions. BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme featured Victoria Biggs, the talented young author of a book entitled Caged in Chaos, on her experiences living and dealing with dyspraxia.

Why is this so important to me? Well let me explain...

I'm in my twenties, and although I was diagnosed at Primary School as being dyspraxic (or having Clumsy Child Syndrome as it was inaccurately then called) I've been wholly unaware of the fact until quite recently. I'd realised that I never fitted it with my peer group, and with this new 'dyspraxia' word revealed to me, I decided it was about time to find out more. I've occasionally looked online for some explanation, but Caged in Chaos sounds as if it might be just what I need to get to grips with this little known aspect of myself. The book apparently approches dyspraxia from the teenager's perspective which makes perfect sense, as this has to be the most of trying of times, when much is expected of you, with image and social skills playing a crucial part to the integration within your peer group. As an adult you come to learn to live with the peculiarities and limitations of Dyspraxia the best you can, having learnt to avoid the pit-falls of certain activities.

I've been planning to start a blog about dyspraxia for a while, and feeling rather enthused by this whole experience, and the media coverage however fleetingly that dyspraxia had received, I've decided at last to put virtual pen to virtual paper. In many ways I hope this blog will follow my own exploration of dyspraxia, and who knows maybe others will relate to the some of the experience I'll share.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 am, Blogger SilverFoxBlue said...

Hi there,

I have a son, Anthony, who is 21 later this month and who was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when he was 4.

I have decided to put all the major expriences and "epiphanies" into a Blog.

http://DealingwithDyspraxia.blogspot.com


I'm keen to find out if other parents would be interested in stories of hope .. and what to prepare for,

So I'd appreciate it if you would publish this letter on your website and see if you can reach people who might be interested in learning lessons from my family's "on-going" story.



Many thanks

Des
London UK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home