Dyspraxia blog

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Community

I've been spending the past couple of weeks exploring the online dyspraxia communities. There's a lot of good advice and information out there it seems, and I'm now also finding resources in the off-line world, as the DANDA (Dyspraxia, Asperger's Syndrome, AD(H)D) network arranges meetings and events for members.

Unfortunately a couple of the forums seem to go down last night with a 'bandwidth exceeded' error. Perhaps a victim of their own popularity. I hope they're back up soon, as I've been spending a lot of time reading past threads and discovering the experiences of others, and I think I'd be a bit lost without them!

One thing that has become clear is that although each person's dyspraxia is a little different, and may in some cases be combined with other disorders, the problems and experiences faced by most posters has been broadly similar. As a result when one person declares having a problem, there's a friendly response by a number of others on the forums as to how this problem maybe overcome.

I've still got a lot to learn. I'm beginning to understand the broad effects of dyspraxia. However there's also an interesting cross-over into other areas such as Asperger's Syndrome and other Autism Spectrum Disorders, where some significant degree of overlap can exist.

It's something of a whole new world, and it's proving a very interesting learning process.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 am, Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, Dyspraxia is a bit like Asperger's. I did wonder if I had that, but I think my Dyspraxia explains the difficulties I have with communication.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home