Dyspraxia blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Against my better judgement

I heading into central London on Saturday to see off the last of my Christmas shopping. Now the idea of going into the shopping capital of the country on the last weekend before Christmas may not seem like the sharpest idea I've ever had, but hear me out. It actually turned out to be an unexpectedly enjoyable experience. I thought the streets would be absolutely jam packed. Actually, the ones I encountered were fairly manageable, and where necessary I took the back streets running just behind Regents Street and Oxford Street to get down to where I needed to be. Putting my mp3 player to good use, loaded with favourite tunes to give me a feel good attitude to the task at hand. Oxford Street to my surprise had been closed to traffic, so there was room to move, there was music being played, carol being sung, and a wonderfully positive feeling in the air. I walked around with a near fixed smile on my face. Not particularly usual when typically surrounded by stressed rushing Londoners, but on this day it was the definite mood of the place.

I was quite pleased by the end of the day. I was tired, true, but I got shopped, I went into the shopping heart of London on one of the busiest shopping day of the year, and I damn well enjoyed myself. I overcame it all, and won through. I surprised myself, and London surprised me. I'm sure there will be many other days in the year when it gives me a bad case of sensory overload, but on this occasion the Christmas spirit won through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home